Country – Poland
Date – July 8th & 9th
Its a quiet little town, not many people around and had a very relaxed vibe to it, the streets were clean and the town itself was quaint and well looked after.
This town was an important center of commerce from the late Middle Ages onward. 14th c German-speaking merchants called it Auswintz and by the 15th c, this name had become Auschwitz.
From 1772–1918, Oświęcim belonged to the Kingdom of Galicia and Lodomeria (a semi-autonomous protectorate of the Austrian Empire), and both Polish and German names were in official use.
The town was annexed into the Third Reich during World War II and the name Auschwitz was used. It became known as Oświęcim after 27 January 1945, when the Wehrmacht was pushed out by the Red Army.
There were approximately 8,000 Jews in the city on the eve of World War II, comprising more than half the population.
Castle of the Dukes of Oświęcim
This castle sits on top of a hill just as you enter the town and was a place of worship back in the Pagan times and development into a dwelling and eventually a castle began in the Middle ages around 11th c where the Dukes of Oświęcim lived
Castle of the Dukes
The tower is the oldest part of the castle dating back to 13th/14th c and is one of first brick constructions in Lesser Poland
Church of the assumption of the holy virgin Mary
On this spot there used to be a 12th c wooden local parish church
The building we see now is built from 16th-19th c and was renovated once during that period due to another attack this time by Swedish troops in 1656
$2au for a beer at the market square… Won’t complain!
The view of River Sola coming into Oświęcim over the bridge
It took around 35mins to walk from Auschwitz Museum to the city centre
The main square of Oświęcim
Of course one of the most beautiful buildings in the city is now a government office… pffft
I highly recommend visiting this city, there really is a lot of history and especially learning about the horrors at Auschwitz camps